Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Quinoa Pizza Dough Update

In an earlier post, I gave the formula for quinoa pizza dough. While tasty, this dough was not easy to work with; none of the batches that I had made had the necessary stretch to allow me to form a pizza with a thin enough crust. So, the crust was tasty but the crust was just too thick for each slice (and I couldn’t make a pizza large enough in diameter to accommodate all of the toppings I prepared—so the pizza tended to grow upwards, like a skyscraper).

I suspected that the lack of “stretchiness” was due to the lower gluten content of the dough, since quinoa is apparently a gluten free product. A couple of weeks ago when we had pizza night, I added about 1 tablespoon of Vital Wheat Gluten to the flour mixture before adding the oil and water. This made a world of difference in the ease of working with the crust, and also vastly improved the texture of the finished product (it had a much more satisfying bite). It does not adulterate the flavor at all, but instead only improves these other attributes. I purchased a small box of it at WFM, which had instructions for inclusion in baked goods (based on the amount of flour you’re starting with). So, if anyone is actually reading this and is interested in preparing the quinoa pizza dough (in the “I’m Unemployed; Let’s Have Pizza” entry), try adding some Vital Wheat Gluten when you combine the flours in the food processor.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Greetings im fresh here. I hit upon this forum I have found It extremely useful and it has helped me alot. I hope to give something back & assist other people like its helped me.

Thank You, See You Later.

Anonymous said...

Hiya im fresh on here, I hit upon this chat board I find It positively accessible and its helped me loads. I hope to give something back and help other people like its helped me.

Thank You, See You About.